Tuesday, November 02, 2004

One Pie, One Vote

"Pie has the power to turn despair into hope" -- advert in the Boston Globe.

Well, it's as good a slogan as any Bush and Kerry have come out with.

Here's a strange thing. I enjoyed Newsnight so much last night that I could only watch it whilst pacing back and forth, unable to sit down. And that's a phrase normally so absurd that Dali himself would slap you haughtily in the face with a melted clock for being too surreal.

It was the reports on the US election, of course. And I still cannot explain myself properly…why do I care? I have never cared for British politics, and certainly no further abroad before. Perhaps the reason so many non-US citizens are fascinated by this election is the same as why voter turnout is going to be so high in the States; that damned divisive president-ape Bush. The whole world is feeling the Fear this time round.

As for myself I haven't been particularly interested in following what he's been doing in this campaign and what rains of fire and havoc he'll bring down on us all if he wins another four years – rather, I fear I am becoming hooked on the stats, the waves of analysis, the politics itself. The simple fact that the race has been close has helped, too. The result of some kind of voyeurism-induced adrenaline perhaps…

Yikes. I'm making the US election sound like dogging. Maybe this is an apt moment for a joke about standing in a car-park watching Bush screw the US…or maybe not. This election has been ill-humoured at best. Although I did enjoy, for all the wrong reasons, a comment by Bush that said John Kerry was set to enter "the flip-flop hall of fame." Worst Blackpool attraction ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home