Friday, October 22, 2004

An Autumn Cultural Snapshot

A list of the stuff I'm currently devoting attention to:

TV: Six Feet Under
Magazine: Private Eye
Radio: Mixing It (Radio 3), John Peel (Radio 1)
Book: Hunter S Thompson – The Great Shark Hunt
CD: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Abattoir Blues
DVD: Shogun Assassin
Web: US election ones
Theatre: Er…
Opera: (That's enough culture)

Sometimes I worry. However much stuff they put out there on the stage, on the screen and on the shelves, I am unwilling to engage with nearly enough of it. And this despite telling myself I am open-minded and liberal, and to hell with those who view anything other than guns, sport and lager as some kind of useless malady that affects the weak and the lame. Fuck it, I am not content with most things because they are dull and repetitive, and I believe that anything that does not change will die. If I had the guts I would throw out any video, CD or book I had kept on the shelf for more than a year, and I would replace each cultural corpse with a live one.

No, that's wrong. That’s not a question of guts. It smells heavily of making a point and ignoring the reality of the thing. It's not just a financial issue. Hell, I enjoy re-reading stuff; and half the time I have forgotten the thing from the first time round anyway. You cannot grasp a book first time round…even Spot the Dog has its subtle motivations and undercurrents that only reveal themselves on later readings. Those lift-up flaps hide more than just a big red ball. Which is probably why the poor sod is down the vet's in the first place.

Okay, this is rubbish. I haven't got a point to make and I'm obviously trying to find a slip road off this infernal motorway of gibberish. And before I torture that metaphor into submission, I'm out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home